The syllabus provides learners with an opportunity to study both the practical and theoretical aspects of physical education. It is designed to encourage enjoyment in physical activity by providing learners with an opportunity to take part in a range of physical activities and develop an understanding of effective and safe physical performance. This helps learners to develop an appreciation of the necessity for sound understanding of the principles, practices and training that underpin improved performance, better health and well-being.
Students, through the knowledge they gain, develop an understanding of effective and safe physical performance. Students are encouraged to improve the following abilities:
- Their ability to plan, perform, analyse and improve, and evaluate physical activities;
- Their knowledge, skills and understanding of a range of relevant physical activities.
- An ability to analyse and improve their own and others’ performance.
The aim of the physical education is
- To further develop knowledge and understanding of the factors affecting performance;
- To ensure health and safety aspects of physical activity, including the advantages and risks associated with a range of training strategies and technique
- To make students reflect on the reasons for participating in physical activity.